The remit of this project is to gain an understanding into the extent to which football supporters feel empowered by the current governance structures in the game. The objective is to understand the extent to which football fans in the UK and other European countries engage with structures such as supporters’ trusts, fan clubs and/or national and transnational fan networks. The project aims to explain the meaning of football to the daily lives of a representative group of engaged fans.
The Research Associate will join Dr Borja García (PI) and Dr Brett Smith (CO-I), as part of Loughborough University’s team in an international research project entitled ‘Football Research in an Enlarged Europe’ (FREE). This project is funded by the European Commission under the 7th Framework Programme for Research (FP7).
The complete description with all relevant information can be found here in PDF format.
The duties of the Research Associate will include:
• To conduct international quality, publishable, research in the areas of football governance and management, fan culture, supporters’ identity, and supporter engagement, utilising a series of qualitative methods including ethnographic observation, life story interviews, audio diaries and auto-photography.
• To conduct literature reviews in academic areas of interest for the project.
• To contribute to the planning of the research project and the implementation of the methodology.
• To plan their own day to day research activity within the framework of the project.
• To work collaboratively with the rest of the research team to ensure the completion of deliverables.
• To assist with the day-to-day administrative management of the project.
• To liaise with other members of the FREE project consortium to coordinate the progress of the research activity.
• To attend and contribute to relevant meetings for the project.
• To assist with the organisation of the project’s final conference in Loughborough.
• To contribute to the publication of research in peer-reviewed journals and to the presentation of findings at national and international conferences.
• To contribute to the presentation of intermediate reports to project partners such as governing bodies and/or policy makers, both in the UK and other European countries.
• To prepare interim reports and information papers for publication in the FREE project website.
• To continually update your knowledge and understanding of the research area.
• To engage in training programmes in the University which are consistent with the needs and aspirations of the post holder and the School.
• To contribute to a small amount of teaching which is relevant to the career progression of the individual
• To undertake other such duties as may be reasonably requested and that are commensurate with the nature and grade of the post and the content of the research objectives of the FREE project.
Required to support an international research project funded by the European Commission, undertaking qualitative research investigating supporters’ perceptions of football governance. You will contribute to the administrative management of the project, fieldwork, data analysis, report writing and dissemination.
A PhD in sports policy, sports governance (or a relevant area) is essential, as is sound knowledge and experience in the use of qualitative audio-visual research methods. Experience in European Commission funded projects, a second European language, and knowledge of football governance would be advantageous.
School details can be found at http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/ssehs
Curriculum Vitae will only be accepted if accompanied by a fully completed University application form.
Please click here for the application form and all downloadable documentation.
For informal discussions, please contact Dr Borja Garcia (Lecturer in Sport Management and Policy) by email or on +44 (0)1509 226368
Printed copies of the documents can be obtained from the contact shown below.
Interviews: Monday 9 July 2012
Completed applications (and equal opportunities form for Loughborough University vacancies) should be sent, by email or post, to the contact shown below. Please quote the relevant job reference (ref: REQ121730) in all correspondence.
Tel: +44 (0)1509 222169
Human Resources, First Floor, Hazlerigg, Loughborough University, Loughborough, LE11 3TU.
|< Prev||Next >|